Self Care Tips San Diego
If you feel depleted on a daily basis, it may be because you don’t spend enough time doing what you love. If you’re passionate about skin care and feeling good like we are at The Laser Cafe, you can use a few gentle suggestions. Not all of them have to do with slathering on product after product, but they do have to do with habits and mindset. Feeling better everyday is something we all need to work on, and only with proper self-care can we create the space to care for others.
Why should you invest in a self-care routine? The answer is simple. You may experience improved positive psychological outcomes such as experiencing more mindfulness, relaxation and productivity, as well as decreased negative outcomes such as stress, anxiety and depression. Here are self care tips San Diego.
- Eat Healthy and Consistently. Eating a healthy, balanced diet at every meal, consisting of whole grains, fiber and protein, is ideal, but we know busy days call for improvisations. Just make sure that you get enough calories daily and they come from the right sources. Prioritize whole fruits and vegetables and three meals a day, or at least smaller more frequent snacks throughout. Diet is non-negotiable. Your skin and anti-aging routines will benefit, and you’ll have more energy to do just about everything else.
- Skin Supplements. While skin supplements are variable in their effectiveness and supplements in general are not fully proven to produce results, a meticulous self-care routine would incorporate a a supplement targeting the largest and most exposed organ in your body. Try a supplement that fits your individual skin needs, and keep in mind that we don’t get all beneficial nutrients from food. Lycopene is a great example–you would have to consume a ridiculous amount of tomatoes to approximate the levels necessary to fight sun damage.
- Spruce Up Your Showers. Whether you take a shower everyday or every other day to retain natural oils in your skin and hair, you find yourself in there eventually. Instead of treating your shower as a chore, make it fun and exciting. Get a new shower head, or try showering with your favorite playlist on. Drop some essential oils in there to enhance the rejuvenation factor. Invest in quality shampoo, conditioner and soap brands. Just don’t stay in hot water too long, or dread the daily event. If you’ve got to do it, make it worth it.
- Hydrate From Head to Toe. Sweating, dry weather, long showers…they all can disturb the skin’s moisture barrier. Take the time to apply your favorite body oil or lotion after your shower, so you lock in the moisture. But also consider internal sources of hydration. Drink water often, and don’t forget to do so. It’s not just about aesthetics or the feel of your skin, but actually getting every cell in your body the right amount of water to function. Think about that!
- Exercise Frequently. Another practice you should adopt on a consistent basis, or try to regularly incorporate, is exercise. Whether you have a solid routine such as weekly yoga classes or you gym some days and hike others, you should aim for regular exercise. Everyone has their slip days, but if you listen to your body, you’ll know exactly what kind of exercise can benefit you and how often you should do it. Don’t overexert yourself, but don’t consider a non-exercise day to be self-care either. Exercise is a non-negotiable, no matter the form you get it.
- Take Breaks. This one’s very important, yet understated. You have to give your mind and body time to just take it easy. If you work out intensely, you need to take breaks during your routine. When you’re in between classes or meetings, you should make time for yourself. It may feel selfish, or like a procrastination technique for ‘more important’ activities, but it’s important to restore your functioning to an ideal state.
- Practice Mindfulness. Around the clock, check in with how you’re feeling. Are you tired? Do you feel listless? Are thoughts racing through your head? Or are you calm and balanced? Do you feel confident about the day? Do you forgive others and yourself, placing things you cannot control outside your worries? Know how you talk to yourself, so you don’t feel crappy 24/7 and wonder why. Be kind to yourself and to others.
- Take a Bath. Having a hard time sleeping? Exhausted from a hard day’s work or sick from a cold? Whatever your ailment, keep a bath as a treat in your self-care arsenal. Baths can help relax your whole body. An epsom salt bath can help you manage inflammation, muscle aches and dry skin through its moisturizing, anti-inflammatory and exfoliant properties. Epsom salt contains magnesium sulfate. Magnesium keeps bones strong, blood pressure stable and heart rhythm consistent. Sulfate helps cleanse the liver, flush out heavy metals and aid protein formation.
- Have a Bedtime Routine. Before you get your sleep, you should unwind. Create the space to relax to allow for more restful, restorative sleep. Don’t dwell on the day’s worries, but use this time to reflect or write in a journal. Prioritize getting into the proper mind state to protect yourself and your goals. That looks different for everyone, but might mean entail avoiding practices that can harm your sleep. That can be anything from reading distressing news to worrying about the next day. Choose a light activity such as gentle stretches, reading a book or meditating.
- Sleep. Do not make excuses for missing sleep. It harms your skin nearly overnight and wrecks damage on your cognition and moods. In general, your health depends on it. Sleep is healing. If you have trouble falling or staying asleep, consult a sleep specialist or make small changes, such as cutting or reducing caffeine, limiting electronic usage at night and creating a no-contact time (for you busy socialites). Find whatever works for you and stick to it religiously.
Don’t forget to fit in luxuries too. Doing a cosmetic procedure can enhance your mood and self-confidence, as well as boost your overall self-care regimen.
Taking care of yourself is a necessity. As you get better at it, you’ll notice the difference in how you feel and think. Share YOUR wellness goals with The Laser Cafe!